CHARLES EVERETT ANDERSON is the present popular and efficient incumbent of the office of mayor of Herrin, Illinois, and he is one of the early merchants of the new town. He has been identfied with its phenomenal development in the sphere of merchandise for a number of years, and although young himself, his connections are substantial and his civic standing sincere and enduring.
A native of Illinois, Mr. Anderson was born in Pope county, this state, on the 13th day of December, 1876. His father, Andrew Anderson, passed his life from birth to death there and was a farmer and stockman during the greater portion of his active but brief career. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having fought for the preservation of the Union for three years as a member of the Sixty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He died at his home in April, 1877 at the age of thirtysix years. His wife, whose maiden name was Martha Morse, is a daughter of Samuel Morse, a pioneer settler in Illinois from South Carolina. After a widowhood of a dozen years Mrs. Anderson married William Leonard, and they now reside at Creal Springs, Illinois. Andrew and Martha Anderson became the parents of four children: Nettie, the wife of George A. Henshaw, corporation commissioner of the state of Okla
homa and a resident of Oklahoma City; John, who maintains a home in Duquoin, Illinois; Spencer, residing at Kankakee; and Charles, of Herrin, Illinois. By her second marriage, their mother has one son, Arthur Leonard.
Charles Everett Anderson left his native town at the age of eleven and came to Williamson county with his brother-in-law, Mr. Henshaw. For a time he lived in Creal Springs and later in Carterville, attending the public school in both places. For his advanced studies he entered the Northern Indiana Normal University at Valparaiso and completed the scientific course in that institution, graduating therefrom with the degree of B. C. in 1898. Just as he emerged from college the country was aroused by the awakened hostilities between Spain and the United States and when war was declared the young man promptly enlisted in Company C of the Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. When Colonel Andel, the first regimental commander returned, Captain Swift took command and the regiment was assigned to General Fitzhugh Lee's corps,—the Seventh. This department of the army was ordered to Havana to occupy that place after the fall of Spanish authority, and it remained there three months, being mustered out April 1, 1899, at Augusta, Georgia. While in the service Mr. Anderson was appointed steward of the canteen and subsequently appointed steward of the officers' mess.
Upon his return to civil life Mr. Anderson entered the employ of thc Elles Store Company at Carterville as a clerk. In 1900 he was sent by that concern to Herrin as manager of the branch house here. With the passing of time he became financially interested in the company, was elected a member of the board of directors, and later acquired a similar connection with the Roach-Elles Company at Marion. In April, 1910, he decided to launch out into the merchandise business on his own responsibility and he established himself in the men's furnishing business at Herrin, retaining only his financial interest in the Roach Elles Company at Marion. Since the opening up of that business Mr. Anderson has made favorable progress and is building up a permanent trade along lines of conservatism and square dealing.
In his political relations Mr. Anderson is a staunch Republican. In the contest for mayor of Herrin in April, 1911, he was made the labor candidate, opposing the regular Republican nominee, and was elected. He succeeded James Lacy to the office, and his administration has thus far been a busy one, carrying out the promises made by his supporters during the campaign. Bonds to the amount of sixty-five thousand dollars have been voted and a system of waterworks is being installed as a result of that issue. Surveys have been made for sewers and estimates taken for the work of making Herrin a sanitary town in every respect. Concrete walks have been constructed everywhere, and it is safe to say that the successful carrying out of these three items alone will be all sufficient to render Mr. Anderson's administration memorable as a period of marked public improvement long after it has passed into history. Fraternally Mr. Anderson is a Master Mason, and a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Eagles. He is vice-president of the Herrin Commercial Club and has been an active and valuable member of that organization. Mr. Anderson is a genial, courteous and friendly man, and enjoys a high degree of popularity in his home town as a result of those pleasant qualities. His kindly nature, as an adjunct to his high position in Herrin, makes him the first citizen of his community.
At Carterville, Illinois, on June 25, 1899, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Anderson to Miss Martha Perry, a daughter of William H. 1042
Perry, long a prominent and influential resident of that place. Four children have been born of their union. They are: Edward, born September 25, 1902; Ruth, born August 15, 1906; John, born October 2, 1910; and Mary, born June 20, 1911.