R. E. BROWN. The veterinary doctor and surgeon of today recognizes the benefit of science as applied to his profession, and it is a noteworthy fact that, within the last several decades the course in this line has become as strict as that of a regular doctor of medicine, while, the scope of practice being wider, many of the young men of today are taking up the veterinary line in preference. One of the successful veterinary surgeons of Southern Illinois, who has had a long and varied experience in his profession is R. E. Brown, whose chosen field of practice is the city of Anna, Union county. He was born in 1871, in Tarrant county, Texas, and is a son of A. C. and Emma (Elkins) Brown.
A. C. Brown was born in Anna, Illinois, in 1853, and was a lad of twelve years when he accompanied his parents to the State of Texas. There he became a member of the State Police, known as the Texas Rangers, and met his death at the hands of the Ku Klux Klan, in 1873, while in the performance of his duty. His widow remained in Texas only a short time after his death, and when R. E. Brown was three years old she brought him and his brother, Dr. L. U. Brown, a prominent veterinary of Ardmore. Okla., to Anna. R. E. Brown received his preliminary educational training in the common schools, and spent eight terms at the Southern Illinois Normal University, at Carbondale, taking a teacher's course. Mr. Brown was engaged in school teaching in Union county for seven years. and also worked for a number of years as a carpenter and contractor, but eventually turned his attention to
veterinary work, his stepfather having been engaged in that profession. He took a course of two years in the National Medical University of Chicago, and for the past eight years has been engaged in practice in Anna, where he has had considerable success.
The standard of his science is being constantly raised by just such men as Dr. Brown, and his profession is recognized as one of the most important. The Government has recoguized this fact, and has many skilled veterinary surgeons constantly in its employ, to care for the health of the valuable stock belonging to it, as well as to pass upon that which is to be slaughtered. He uses the latest scientific methods and keeps abreast of the latest inventions and discoveries in his profession by subscription to various veterinary journals, and his success has won for him the confidence of his community. Dr. Brown is general manager and secretary of the Anna Improvement and Loan Company and owns considerable stock therein.
In 1901, Dr. Brown was married to Miss Mamie West, who was born on a farm east of Anna, in Union county, in April, 1881, daughter of A. J. and Lucinda West, who still reside on the West homestead. Two children have been born to this union: Roy, who was born in February, 1905; and Robert, born in December, 1909. Mr. Brown has associated himself with various movements for the advancement of his community. His fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Court of Honor. He and his wife are consistent members of the Lutheran church , and both are popular in church and social circles.