DANIEL G. FITZGERRELL.
One of the most prominent men of this part of Southern Illinois is Daniel G. Fitzgerrell, banker, large land owner and leading Mason. He is connected with no less than three of the substantial monetary institutions of this section, namely: the private bank of Watson, Fitzgerrell & Company, which he assisted in organizing and of which he is cashier; the First National Bank of Sesser, Illinois; and the Bank of Bonnie, Illinois. Of calm, sane and judicious character, and even more careful of the interests of others than his own, he is of the best possible material for a financier and the county is indeed
fortunate in possessing one of his calibre in a position of such importance. Mr. Fitzgerrell is a man of property and has eloquently manifested his confidence in the present and future prosperity of this part of the state by making himself the possessor of several hundred acres of land located in Franklin, Jefferson and Gallatin counties. Among his other interests he deals extensively in stock.
Mr. Fitzgerrell is a native son of Jefferson county, his birth having occurred within its boundaries February 10, 1869. He is the descendant of James J. Fitzgerrell, who removed from Indiana to Illinois when a young man, where he became a farmer and passed the remainder of his days. His maternal grandfather also lived in Franklin county for a number of years, having come there as one of the early settlers. All of Mr. Fitzgerrell's forebears gave hand and heart to the men and measures of the Democratic party. His father and mother were James J. and Sarah (Whitlow) Fitzgerrell, the birth of the former having occurred near Richmond, Virginia, and that of the latter in Franklin county, near Ewing. The mother, whose demise occurred in 1903, and who was a member of the Missionary Baptist church, was the father's second wife, the death of his first wife, whose name was Patsy Ann Martin, having occurred in 1861. Evan Fitzgerrell, a leading citizen of Benton, is a son of the previous marriage. The father's death was in 1889, and he is remembered as one of the most successful farmers and stock-raisers in the history of Jefferson county. He eventually became the owner of a large tract of land. He was a Mason and an active member of the Missionary Baptist church and all good causes were sure of his support.
Mr. Fitzgerrell received a good education, and after leaving his desk in the public school room became a student in Ewing College, from which he was eventually graduated. His first experience as a wage-earner was in the capacity of a bookkeeper at Marion, which position he held for one year. He then embarked in business on his own account, choosing the hardware field. After a time in this occupation he accepted the position of deputy postmaster at Mount Vernon, which he held for three years. After that he traveled extensively as salesman. In 1903 he entered upon his career as a banker, in which he has been eminently successful, and in which he has displayed ability of a high order. In that year he organized the private bank of Watson, Fitzgerrell & Company, and in the division of offices himself assumed that of cashier. This bank has a large capital stock and is conducted upon the securest and most admirable principles. Mr. Fitzgerrell is a man of wealth, the nucleus of his fortunes having been a heritage left to him by his father.
On May 25, 1887, Mr. Fitzgerrell was happily married to Pauline Goddard, daughter of Monroe Goddard, an early settler of Williamson county, her grandfather having brought his family here as one of the earliest of the pioneers. He was a merchant and played a prominent and praiseworthy part in the many-sided life of his community, leaving behind him for generations to come an example worthy of emulation. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerrell have reared a family of three children, all promising young citizens. Monroe G. is his father's assistant in the bank; Jack A. is a student in Ewing College; and Mary K. is pursuing her public school studies.
Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerrell are valued members of the Methodist Episcopal church and the former is a widely known Mason, belonging to Ewing lodge, No. 705; H. W. Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, Mount Vernon; and the Knights Templar, No. 64, Mount Vernon. He is the district grand deputy of the Forty-fifth Masonic district and is also
grand lecturer of the state of Illinois. He is now master of the Masonic lodge at Ewing and has held that office for five years. In the ancient and august order he is held in high esteem and affection and successfully lives up to its high ideals. In his political faith he subscribes to the tenets of the Democratic party, in whose wisdom his father believed.