FRED LEE LINGLE. In Dr. Fred Lee Lingle, Alto Pass has a skilled physician, a worthy citizen and a representative of a family which has been closely identified with the history of Union county since its organization. He was born October 17, 1881, and is the son of George W. Lingle, horn in 1850 and yet living on his farm in Cobden, Union county, which was the place of his birth. The father of George W. Lingle and the grandfather of Dr. Fred Lee Lingle was Henry Lingle, a native of North Carolina, and a man of German extraction. ln the early twenties Henry Lingle, together with several other home-seekers from the Carolinas, came to Union county. At one time in the early history of that county Henry Lingle owned the piece of land, comprising one hundred and twenty acres, which is now the site of the town of Cobden. When the Illinois Central Railroad went through that region in 1855 he sold his entire holdings to Dan Davie at a good figure, and then moved out seven miles east of the Cobden townsite, where he bought his farm of five hundred acres. His wife, Elizabeth (Vansel) Lingle, still lives. Henry Lingle fought in the Mexican war, winning a splendid record in his serrice. His son, George W. Lingle, is the owner of a farm of one hundred and forty acres, ninety acres of which is a part of the- old Lingle farm. He was a prosperous man, and in addition to his agricultural interests was for many years the owner of a large fiouring mill in the northern part of Union county, which he operated successfully and profitably. His wife was Amelia C. Brooks, a daughter of Larkin Brooks, a native of North Carolina, and she bore him four children: Dr. Willis E., of Cobden, Illinois; Dr. Fred Lee, of Alto Pass; George Melvin, on the Cobden farm; and Naomi.
Dr. Fred Lee Lingle was educated in the common schools of Cobden and in the Southern Illinois Normal at Carbondale; following his graduation therefrom he began his medical studies, in September, 1900, in the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, and after an attendance of four years he was graduated in 1904. He immediately began
the practice of medicine at Herrin, Illinois; remaining there for six months only, following which he practiced for a similar period at Pomona, Illinois. On May 6, 1905, Dr. Lingle located at Alto Pass, and in the six years of his residence here he has built up an extensive practice, covering a territory of seven miles north, ten miles west, three miles east and two and a half miles south.
Dr. Lingle is a member of the Union County and the Illinois State Medical Associations, and in a fraternal way is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, local lodge at Alto Pass, and of the A. E. & A. M.
On December 24, 1905, Dr. Lingle was married to Miss Jennie Dameron, of Union county, a daughter of William J. and Elzadah Dameron. They are the parents of one child, Myrtle Lorena, now three years old. Dr. Lingle and his wife are members of the Congregational church of Alto Pass.