MOSS MAXEY, M. D.,
since 1910 connected with the Egyptian Hospital of Mount Vernon, is one of the prominent young physicians of his section of the state. He has been in continuous practice in Mount Vernon for fifteen years past, and while he is the junior of many of the medical men of his city, he has a record for more years of consecutive practice in the community than perhaps any other representative of the medical profession.
Born on July 28, 1873, on a farm in Jefferson county, Illinois, he is the son of James C. and Nancy (Moss) Maxey, the former born in Shiloh township, Jefferson county, on June 14, 1827, and the latter the descendant of a prominent pioneer family of Illinois. The Maxey family have been identified with the history of the United States since Walter Maxey, 1st, immigrated to this country from Wales, 1725, and they have been prominent in all walks of life from then until the present time.
Dr. Moss Maxey, who derives his Christian name from the family appellation of his mother, received his education in the common schools of Jefferson county. While yet in his 'teens he was granted a certificate to teach, which he did for some little time. He later entered the medical department of Washington University in St. Louis, in 1893, and was graduated from that fine old institution in 1897, being awarded at that time his well earned degree of M. D. Dr. Maxey immediately took up the practice of medicine in Mount Vernon, and has conducted a continuous practice there for fifteen years, eight years of which he was surgeon to the Mt. Vernon Cornice Manufacturing Company, and for five years was county physician of Jefferson county. He has been especially successful in his chosen work and is regarded as one of the leading men in medical circles in Southern Illinois. He is connected
with the private hospital conducted by Dr. Hamilton, and is one of six physicians to occupy a suite of consulting room, laboratory and waiting rooms, known as the Hospital Consulting Rooms, as an annex to the hospital. The library and all the appointments of the laboratory, consulting and waiting rooms are the most complete and modern to be found in Southern Illinois, and are in every way adequate to the exigencies of whatever occasion might arise.
Dr. Maxey himself is a general practitioner, and the five physicians associated with him and connected with the Egyptian Hospital are specialists in various lines. The Doctor is a well read and thoroughly educated man, and is a constant student of the best. His private library comprises perhaps a thousand volumes, and many editions De Luxe are to be found among his book shelves. He is a member of the Jefferson County and the American Medical Associations, as an aid to his profession, and is active in both societies. In a fraternal way he is prominent in Masonry, being a past master of Mount Vernon lodge, No. 31, and was Master Mason in 1899. He has attained the Royal Arch Degree. He has been a member of the National Geographical Society since 1908.
Dr. Maxey has been twice married. By his first marriage, he has two children: Hugh W., a student in the Illinois State University, and Vivian, now attending high school in Mount Vernon. His second marriage took place on September 17, 1911, when Ethel Elliot, daughter of Jesse Elliot, became his wife. Mr. and Mrs. Elliot are natives of Randolph county, and the mother of Mr. Elliot was a Menard, daughter of Pierre Menard, the first lieutenant governor of Illinois and a direct descendant of the Menards of Old Kaskaskia, and of French extraction.