ALEXANDER WILSON MILLER.
The mining interests of Southern Illinois are vast and varied and have called forth the best efforts and activities of some of the leading men of this section, in which connection the name of Alexander Wilson Miller stands forth as superintendent of the old Brush mining property of Carterville, now known as the Madison Coal Corporation, which includes the old Colp mine adjacent to Carterville. Mr. Miller has been in charge of the property since November, 1910, succeeding James Reid in the position. His life has been spent in the industry of mining, comes from a family of coal miners, and was born in St. Louis, Missouri, July 12, 1865. His parents located in Belleville, Illinois, in 1869, and around that town and in the graded schools there he grew up and secured his somewhat limited education.
Alexander Miller, the father of Alexander W., was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, was married there and came to the United States when about thirty years of age. He grew up in the atmosphere of the mines and dug coal all of his life, and his death occurred at O'Fallon, Illinois, in 1906, when he was seventy-six years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Wilson, resides at Glen Carbon, Illinois, and is seventy-eight years old. They had four children: N. K., of Glen Carbon; Mrs. Jane Clayton and Mrs. Elizabeth White, of O'Fallon; and Alexander Wilson, of Carterville.
Beginning his trade as a lad of twelve years, it was impossible for Alexander W. Miller to secure much schooling, but home study and much reading have made him a well educated man. His name appeared on the payroll of the Palm mine at Belleville in 1877, and his efforts thenceforth were directed in mastering the details of mining. He was a coal digger
until he was thirty-three years of age, when he was made a mine manager at Glen Carbon, Illinois, and there did the work that earned him the superintendency of the old Big Muddy properties at Carterville. On February 26, 1886, Mr. Miller was married at O'Fallon, Illinois, to Miss Minnie Sherman, a daughter of George Sherman, a painter and settler there from Indiana. Mrs. Sherman was formerly Miss Amanda Powell, whose ancestors were of the old residents of Ridge Prairie in St. Clair county, going there with the noted Colonel Thomas. Mr. Miller established his home in Edwardsville, and is still a resident there. His children are: Raymond, who is assistant electrician of the Madison Coal Corporation at Carterville; Elton, who is bill clerk for the same concern; Blanche, who is a teacher in the Glen Carbon schools; and Bernice Fern and Kermit R., students in the public schools.
Mr. Miller has manifested much interest in Free Masonry, having taken the thirty-second degree by both the Scottish and York routes. He is a member of the Blue Lodge Chapter and Eastern Star at Edwardsville, of the Council and Commandery at Alton, and of the Consistory at Chicago and the Mohammed Temple at Peoria. His membership in the Knights of Pythias he holds at Glen Carbon. He is a Republican in political matters, but outside of showing a good citizen's interest in the affairs of the day he has not engaged in public affairs.