DOCTOR LEROY NEWLIN,
the prominent physician of Robinson, is a brother of Judge E. E. Newlin and Thomas J. Newlin. He is therefore the third to gain renown in a professional way, and well might the mother's heart rejoice when she saw that the sacrifice she had made to bring these boys to manhood and to give them all an education were not in vain. While his brothers chose the law as their profession, Doctor Newlin chose medicine, and throughout his life he has shown that he judged wisely in selecting this as the field of his labors, for he is peculiarly fitted by nature for the practice of medicine. Through the hard work and privations of his own childhood he learned the gift of sympathy. He is strong and self reliant, and inspires his patients with courage through his own forceful personality. With these characteristics he has been able to become a valued friend to his patients as well as a physician.
LeRoy Newlin was born in Crawford county, on a farm, on the 8th of March, 1860. His boyhood was spent on the farm, where he spent part of the time in work and part in study, with few hours to spare for playtime. He nevertheless grew up as sturdy and healthy a boy as one could wish. He was educated in the common schools and in 1880 entered the state normal school at Terre Haute, Indiana. He studied in this institution for two years and then found that he had reached the end of his resources. He therefore turned from the life of a student to that of a teacher, and for the next ten years this was his vocation. Whenever he could spare the time and had a little money saved up, back he went to the normal school for another course or so. Then he made the
decision that was to change his life, and this was to take up the study of medicine.
In 1889 he therefore matriculated in the Kentucky School of Medicine. In two years he had completed the medical course and was graduated from this institution with the degree of M. D. in 1891. He then went to Crawford county and located in the town of Hardinsville, where he proceeded to practice his profession. He was eminently successful, and it was with regret that the citizens of this town saw him leave their midst to come to Robinson in 1908. He made the change for several reasons, chief among them being that he wished to be near his brothers, for the bond of affection between the three has always been very close. Since 1908 he has been in active practice in Robinson, and the people of this city have come to place as much dependence upon him as did those of his former home.
Doctor Newlin is a member of the Crawford County Medical Society, of the Esculapian Society and of the Illinois State Medical Association. He is much interested in these organizations and believes that they are of much benefit to the profession, not only for the intellectual stimulus of the meetings, but for their tendency to draw the members of the profession into closer harmony with each other. In his religious affiliations the Doctor is a member of the Christian church, and is a very prominent member of the church, being one of the elders, In the fraternal world he is a member of the Masonic order and of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Doctor Newlin was married on the 26th of March, 1903, to Louise O. Vance, a native of Crawford county, Illinois. Before her marriage Mrs. Newlin was a school teacher, and by nature and by education she was in every way fitted to become the companion of the Doctor. She was educated at the Danville Central Normal and is a graduate of that institution. Her parents were Mehlin and Margaret M. Vance, both of whom were natives of Crawford county. Her father is now dead, but her mother is living. Doctor and Mrs. Newlin are the parents of three children, all of whom are students in the township high school and bid fair to emulate the examples of their father and mother. These children are Mary, Harold V. and John A.