PROF. LEWIS OGILVIE.
A fortunate example of the right man in the right place is Prof. Lewis Ogilvie, who is making an excellent record as superintendent of the Albi6n schools. No one is better entitled to the thoughtful consideration of a free and enlightened people than he who shapes and direets the minds of the young, and adds to the value of their intellectual treasures and moulds their characters. This is preeminently the mission of the faithful and conscientious teacher and to such noble work is the life of Professor Ogilvie devoted.
Professor Ogilvie was born April 10, 1874, in Plymouth, Illinois, the son of William F. Ogilvie, a native of Ohio, and the grandson of William Ogilvie, a native of Scotland, who left his native heath in early life and crossed the Atlantic in quest of the much vaunted American opportunity. He soon came westward to Illinois, locating first in Schuyler county and in 1833 takin& up his residence near Carthage in Hancock county. His son, William F. Ogilvie, was born on his Hancock county homestead in 1842 and when it came to choosing a life-work he followed in the paternal footsteps and became an exponent of the great basic industry of agriculture. He now resides in Plymouth and is a prominent and highly respected citizen. He chose as his companion in life's journey Mary A. Bell, daughter of Jesse Bell of Hancock and four children were born to them, Lewis being the eldest in nativity; Lida, the only daughter, is deceased; Guy resides in Bushnell, Illinois; and William T. is deceased.
Professor Ogilvie received his preliminary education in the schools of Plymouth and was in due time graduated from the high school of that place. Desiring a deeper draught at the “Pierian Spring” he studied at a number of colleges, first at Eureka College, from which he entered the Western Illinois College, then becoming a student at the State Normal University at McComb, and finishing in the State University of Illinois. It is thus to be seen that his educational equipment is of the highest order and he possesses very enlightened ideals on the question of the proper development of the youthful mind. He inaugurated his pedagogical career in 1894, at the age of twenty years, teaching for four years in the rnral schools, and following that he spent six years as ward principal of the schools of Nauvoo, Illinois. In 1909, he became superintendent of the schools of Mendon, Illinois, and remained as such until 1911, when he was appointed to the superintendency of the Albion schools and here, as elsewhere, has given the greatest satisfaction in his important office. He is not of the type which is content with “letting well enough alone” and has inaugurated several excellent measures. He is at the head of a corps of twelve teachers and 360 pupils are enrolled. The high school is accredited and in the work of instruction Professor Ogilvie has two assistants in this higher department. The course is four years in length and a diploma admits the graduate to college or university.
Professor Ogilvie was married in 1897, Anna Hubbard of Bowen, Illinois, daughter of John G. Hubbard, becoming his wife. They have two children, Helen and Leslie. Their home is a hospitable one and they occupy an enviable position in social circles where true worth and intelligence are received as the passports into good society. They are members of the Congregational church and the Professor enjoys fraternal relations with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen, both of Nauvoo.