Frank H. POST.
One of the leading families of Jackson county, Illinois, is that of Post, members of which have been prominent in business circles and in the professions for a number of years. A worthy representative of this family is Frank H. Post, who has shown more than ordinary business qualifications, and is now the owner of three drug stores, his present field of labor being the city of Murphysboro, where he is known as an excellent business man and public-spirited citizen. Mr. Post was born December 8, 1868, at Carbondale, Illinois, and is a son of Peter Mackey and Sarah (Haughawout) Post.
Peter Mackey Post was born at Southampton, Long Island, in 1842, and there resided until he was nineteen years of age, when he left home on a whaling voyage, a trip that consumed three years. He then returned to his home, where he remained for one year,.and then spent two years on the Delaware and Hudson Canal, coming to Murphyshoro in 1865, where, in the capacity of civil engineer, he assisted in surveying the land for the Grand Tower and Carbondale Railroad. He ran the first train on that road, and for years was a conductor on that line, in the meantime making his home in Carbondale, and eventually became a silent partner in a general store, but later withdrew and entered the drug business, with which he was connected at the time of his death, October 30, 1908. For a number of years he was vice-president of the City National Bank and was interested in other enterprises of a business nature, while he was fraternally prominent as a Mason and a charter member of the local lodge of Elks. Mr. Post was married to Miss Sarah Haughawout, of Sunbury, Pennsylvania, and their two children are living: Frank H. and Dr. Charles A. H.
Charles Augustus Harwood Post was born at Carbondale, Illinois, March 12, 1874, and after attending the public and high schools of Carbondale entered Union Academy, at Anna, Illinois, and on completing his course in that institution became a student in Northwestern University, at Evanston, Illinois. He took his medical course in the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated with the class in 1899, and in May of that year began practice at Murphysboro. He has a large practice, which he follows along general lines, although he specializes more or less in surgery, and a number of successful operations have won for him the confidence of the people of his community. He is a member of the Board of Health, of which he was for some time president, and has a wide reputation in his profession. He was married February 23, 1906, to Miss Louise Stecker, of Murphysboro, daughter of Rudolph Stecker, a well known brewer of this city, and two children have been born to them: Sallie Louise and Marjorie Nevina.
Frank H. Post attended the public and high schools of Carbondale, and then entered the University of Indiana, from which he was graduated in 1890, and four years later was graduated from the pharmaceutical
department of Northwestern University. He then came to Murphysboro, and was associated with his father in the drug business until 1897, in which year he went to Chicago, where for some time he was engaged in the manufacture of proprietary medicines, but in 1908 returned to Murphysboro and succeeded his father as proprietor of the drug business. He is possessed of much business ability, and with his progressive ideas and his years of experience has built up a large and lucrative trade. He now conducts three stores, in which he keeps a full line of drugs, medicines, stationery, toilet articles, and other goods usually found in a first-class pharmacy, and his honorable methods of dealing have given him a high standing among Murphysboro 's business men.
On October 16, 1899, Mr. Post was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Kingsbury Anderson, of Chicago, daughter of Captain E. W. Kingsbury, who as captain of Company I, Second Illinois Regiment, served during the Civil war. Fraternally Mr. Post is connected with the Masons, the Knights of Pythias and the Elks, and is very popular in all. The family is connected with the Presbyterian church.