A man of marked financial and executive ability and judgment, Edward Schurmann, secretary, assistant manager and part owner of one of the largest flour mills of Southern Illinois, is a splendid representative of the prominent and thriving business men of Germantown, where he is held in the highest regard and esteem. A son of Henry Schurmann, he was born May 19, 1874, in Carlyle, Illinois, of German ancestry. His paternal grandfather, Peter Schurmann, a native of Westphalia, Germany, immigrated to the United States in early manhood, and settled in Clinton county, Illinois, in pioneer days, remaining there until his. death, while yet a comparatively young man. His wife, who survived him many years, married a second time, and died in the fall of 1872.
Born in Germantown, Illinois, in Looking Glass township, October 12, 1847, Henry Schurmann there acquired his elementary education in the parochial schools which he attended until twelve years old. Then, soon after the death of his father, he spent a year in college in Indiana. Returning then to Germantown, he lived with his mother and stepfather three years, when he secured a position in a flour mill at Hanover, where he was employed in nailing up boxes and barrels for a year. He afterwards served an apprenticeship of three years at the miller's trade, and then took a full course of study at the Jones Commercial School, in Saint Louis.
Returning then to the mill, Mr. Henry Schurmann accepted a position as second miller in the plant with which he had previously been connected, and early in 1869 was promoted to general manager of the mill. On November 10 of that year the plant was sold, Mr. Schurmann buying a third interest, his partners being Messrs. Usselmann and Sprehe. In 1878 Mr. Usselmann died, and his interest in the mill was bought by the remaining partners on January 19, 1.879. The business was then continued by the new firm of Sprehe & Schurmann until December, 1880, when the senior member passed to the life beyond, since which time the mill has been owned by the Schurmann family, and has carried on a substantial business under the name of the “Hanover Star Mills.”
These mills were first started in 1859 by Messrs. Lampen, Kicinkorte & Neumeyer as a saw mill, and was afterwards changed to a flour mill, having a capacity of one hundred barrels every twenty-four hours, it
being operated by a burr-millstone. In 1881 Mr. Henry Schurmann changed it to a roller mill, increasing its capacity to three hundred barrels daily. The present mill building is five stories in height, and is equipped with the most modern approved machinery, being up-to-date in every respect, its running capacity now being four hundred and fifty barrels each day. The productions of this plant, the Schurmann Patent Flour, the Hanover Star Flour and other brands, were formerly shipped not only to Boston and other important New England points, but to foreign markets, but are now sold almost entirely in the Southern states. In 1885 the plant was operated by a stock company, of which Henry Schumann was the president, but at the present time is a private concern, controlled by the Schurmaun family. In addition to the twelve men employed in the coopering department of the plant, twenty men are employed in the. mill, and a large force of men are kept busy in the office.
Mr. Henry Schurmann at one time owned the Bartelso Creamery, and had an interest in the Gern-vantown Creamery, but is not now identified with either industryl In his earlier life he was a strong supporter of the principles of the Democratic party, but since the introduction of the free silver plank into its platform has severed his connection with that party. He has been active in public affairs, and has filled various town and county offices. In 1873 he was elected county clerk of Clinton county, and served acceptably nine years; from 1886 to 1890 he occupied the same position; in 1893 be was president of the village; and for two years he served as president of the Carlyle city council, and at the same time was a member of the Carlyle school board.
On February 8, 1870, Henry Schurmann was married and nine children blessed the union, of whom eight are living, as follows: Annie, now known as Sister Thomasine; J. Henry; Edward; August; Carrie, wife of Matt Boevingloh; Payla; Celia; and Leona.
Spending his childhood days in Carlyle, Ecjward Schurmann there attended the parochial school until nine years old, the ensuing five years continuing his studies in the Germantown schools. Going thefi to Saint Louis, he spent two years at the Jones Commercial College, and on returning to Germantown became a bookkeeper in the office of his father 's mill. His ability soon brought him deserved promotion, and he is now part owner of the immense milling business, in addition being secretory and assistant manager of the mill. Mr. Schurmann is a member of the Southern Illinois Millers' Association; of the Operative Millers' Association; of the Saint Louis Millers' Club; and of the Merchants Exchange. He is an active member of the Republican party, belonging to the central committee of Germantown township, and is judge of elections. Religiously he belongs to the Catholic church, and is a member of Saint Henry's Sodality, a benevolent and charitable organization.
Mr. Schurmann married, in 1904, Annie Rolfes, of Germantown, and they have one child, Henry Lewis Schurmann.