C. D. STILWELL.
Coming from Chicago to Harrisburg in 1905, C. D. Stilwell soon gained a position of note among the leading members of the legal profession of Saline county, and in 1906 was honored by the voters of Harrisburg as their choice for city attorney. Possessing great tact and good judgment, coupled with a splendid knowledge
of the law, he has since met with every requirement of that responsible office. Enterprising and progressive, Mr. Stilwell takes an active interest in municipal affairs, and is known as a consistent and persistent “booster,” and one who will do his full share in advancing the public welfare.
When Mr. Stilwell located in Harrisburg the public thoroughfares were well-nigh impassable three months in the year, the mails being hauled from the depot to the postoffice in hand carts, while the commercial men walked through the muddy streets, carrying their baggage in their hands. Mr. Stilwell began talking sewerage and pavements, and so aroused the people that many were induced to second his efforts, the councilmen becoming particularly enthusiastic in the matter. The materialization of well formed plans, for which he assumed the legal responsibility, and shaped the necessary legislation, resulted in the laying of nine miles of sewers, five miles of brick pavements, and long stretches of concrete walks in the city, improvements that are now absolutely indispensable.
Two or three years before a mile of stone road had been constructed by the state, but was of no practical value in these low lands. Mr. Stilwell advocated a brick pavement laid on a concrete foundation for country roads, stating his reasons clearly. The Commercial Club of Harrisburg took up the matter, and having $23,000 to spend for road improvements appointed, in July, 1911, a committee to investigate the subject. This committee appointed visited different places in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio, in each county inspected hundreds of miles of stone, gravel and brick roads, and each member of said committee decided in favor of the brick material. Soon after the committee's report was made public a contract was let for the construction of a nine-foot, concrete base, vitrified brick road, which is now well begun, and is surely to be the entering wedge to brick country roads throughout Southern Illinois. Too much credit for the improvement of the public highways cannot be given Mr. Stilwell, his championship of the good roads movement having borne good results.