THOMAS BELL WILLIAMSON, M. D.
One of the foremost Eclectic physicians of Jefferson county, Thomas Bell Williamson, M. D., of Opdyke, is associated by membership with the Missouri State Eclectic Medical Society and with the National Eclectic Association, and in the diagnosis and treatment of the various ills to which mankind is heir keeps abreast of the times, being familiar with the more modern methods now used. A native of Illinois, he was born October 4, 1885, near Belle Rive, Jefferson county.
His father. the late Thomas Williamson, was born in 1833, in Kentucky, and there spent his early life. Coming to Illinois in 1860, he located in Jefferson county, where he became an extensive landholder, at one time owning a whole section of land. He died while in manhood's prime, his death occurring in 1886. He was twice married. He married first Peggy Butler, who died in 1881, leaving two children, namely: William H., deceased; and Mrs. Nancy Ann Linyell. He married for his second wife Dora A. Phillips, a daughter of William Phillips. In 1896 she passed to the life beyond, leaving but one child, Thomas Bell, the subject of this personal narrative.
Left an orphan in boyhood, Thomas Bell Williamson received his early education in the common and high schools of McLeansboro, Illinois, and in 1902 was graduated from Ewing College, in Ewing, Illinois. Then, at the age of seventeen years, he began the study of medicine in Saint Louis, at the American Medical College, where he was graduated with the class of 1906, having for a year previous to his graduation been connected with the Metropolitan Hospital, the last few months of the time being an interne. In June, 1906, Dr. Williamson began the practice of his profession in Opdyke, Illinois, and has here built up an extensive and highly remunerative patronage, his skill and ability being recognized and appreciated throughout the community. The Doctor has also been successful in accumulating property, now owning two farms, one of eighty acres lying near Opdyke, and another of one hundred and sixty acres in Franklin county. He likewise owns considerable live stock, and has valuable residential property in Opdyke. He is now vice-president of the Opdyke Bank.
On August 5, 1906, Dr. Williamson married Lillian D. Kern, a daughter of Joseph Wesley Kern, formerly of Snowflake, Franklin county, but now cashier of the Opdyke Bank, of which he is an expresident. The Doctor and Mrs. Williamson have one child, Lucille Frances, born December 13, 1908.
Fraternally Dr. Williamson is a member and a past master of Jefferson Lodge, No. 368, Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, of Opdyke; of H. W. Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, Royal Arch Masons, of Mount Vernon; and of Opdyke Camp, No. 6457, Modern Woodmen of America. He is also a member and the past and present worthy patron of Jefferson Chapter, No. 686, Order of Eastern Star, to which Mrs. Williamson also belongs, being worthy matron, and which they were both very influential in organizing, it having been instituted March 16, 1911.