Daniel Bain, a pioneer and leading farmer, was born August 28, 1827, in White County, the second of eleven children (two deceased) of Daniel and Nancy (Canada) Bain. The father, of Scotch stock, was born in 1794 in North Carolina, and the mother was born in Tennessee in 1803, and of the same origin. They settled in Illinois April 3, 1838, the mother's folks in White County, and were married about 1824. The father was in Tennessee first, and a soldier in the war of 1812 for three months. The mother's folks lived in a fort in Crawford County, on the Wabash River, for five years. When our subject was about two years old they moved to Vigo County, Ind. After ten years' farming there, they came to Franklin County and settled on their farm in Northern Township, until 1858, when he bought a farm in the southwest corner of the same township, where the father died in 1869. The mother still lives with her youngest daughter, Mrs. Jasper Whittington. With limited educational advantages our subject remained at home until nearly twenty-four, and then returned to Vigo County, Ind., and married Eliza J., dughter of John and Polly (Kimball) Reese, born in that county about 1831. Their eleven children are Julia A. (deceased wife of John Britton), Mary E. (deceased), William A., Maraney C. (wife of Scott Roberson), Nancy E. (deceased), Millard F., Martha F. (wife of Henry Davis), Sarah E. (wife of E. Webb), Ora E., Rosetta (deceased) and Hester. His wife died in November, 1874, at our subject's present home. After farming there until October he came to Franklin County and settled on the farm now owned by Alfred Groves. In 1858 he sold it, and after about nine months' merchandising settled on his present farm in Sec-
tions 29 and 30. In December, 1875, he married Sarah, widow of George W. Beaty, and daughter of Luke and Margaret (Rogers) Bosley. Their children are Ida, Daniel E. and Margaret C. His wife was born in 1839 in Jefferson County, Ill. She had these children by her first husband: George W., Henry J., Frances M., Philip C., James W., Sarah E. and Eliza J. He has cleared two woodland farms somewhat, and now owns 277 acres, mostly improved and cultivated, and all fenced. He has acquired this from a beginning of nothing in the woods as a pioneer. Formerly a Whig, he has been a Republican since the war, and first voted for Taylor. He is a member of the Macedonia Lodge, I. 0. 0. F. and the F. M. B. A., and of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while his wife and one of her first husband's children, and William, Maraney, Fannie and Ora E. are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Sarah E. belongs to the old Regular Baptist Church.