Dr. D. Lafayette Carter, physician and surgeon, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1848, the son of Henry D. and Nancy (Williams) Carter. The father, born in 1812, in Virginia, of English origin, went to Wilson County, Tenn., with his parents, when twelve years old. He was married there, and in 1851 moved to Henry County, Tenn. In 1858 he went to Missouri, and in a short time to western Kentucky, and there remained, excepting two years in Illinois, until 1869, when he bought 200 acres of land in Williamson County. In 1885 he settled on his present farm of 120 acres, near Thompsonville, still retaining the before-mentioned 200 acres. His wife, Nancy, was born in Tennessee in 1819, and died in 1870. Ten of their fourteen children are living: Thomas; William; Mary, wife of H. Turner; Stith ; Elizabeth, wife of John Jordan; our subject; George; Henry C.; James and Elmas. Educated in the common schools of Kentucky, our subject, when twenty years old, began medical study under Dr. R. Poindexter, and a year later attended the medical lectures of the University of Louisville. In 1871 he located near Corinth, Ill., and in 1875 at Fitts Hill, Franklin County. Since 1880 he has been in Thompsonville. In 1878 he graduated from the Evansville Medical College. He is the oldest practicing physician actively engaged in Thompsonville, and by his ability and courteous qualities has gained a very extensive practice. Politically he is a Republican, and first voted for Grant, in 1872. In 1872 he married Henrietta, daughter of William Lynch,
born in Jefferson County, Ill. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They have one child living, Dexter L.