HARRY H. CLARK
has been cashier of the Bank of Wayne City since its organization in 1902, and is recognized in this city as one of the able and progressive young business men of the place. The bank, which was organized in July, 1902, as before stated, is operated by Goddard & Hall as a private financial institution, with a capital of $10,000. Present deposits amount to about $52,000. The proprietors are H. T. Goddard, of Mt. Carmel, and T. W. Hall, of Carmi, Illinois. Mr. Clark has been in charge of the bank since its opening.
Born November 28, 1872, near Crossville, Illinois, in White county, Harry H. Clark is the son of H. H. Clark, also a native of White county, born there in 1843, who is a retired farmer now living his declining years in Carmi. He is the son of George Clark, a native of Vermont and an early pioneer of White county. H. H. Clark, Sr., was a soldier in the Union army during the war of the rebellion, serving in the Eighty-seventh lllinois for three years. He married Sidney A. Britton, the daughter of W. B. Britton, a native of Kentucky, who migrated to Illinois in early life, and they reared a family of nine children, including: Lela, now deceased; LuIn R., a teacher in the Jacksonville schools; Harry H., of Wayne City; George W.; Sylvia, a teacher near Jacksonville; Jessie, a clerk in Jacksonville National Bank; Cecil, a student in Jacksonville College, as is also Genevieve, the youngest of the family.
The boyhood and youth of Harry H. Clark was passed in attendance upon the common schools of his home community. He later entered the old Enficld College, after which he was graduated from the Normal at Valparaiso. Thereafter he taught school for eight years in White, and was principal of the Carmi high school for two years, spending in all four years in various capacities in the Carmi schools.
In 1902 he came to Wayne City to take charge of the new Wayne'City Bank then organized, and he has remained a citizen of this place continuously since that time, and has fulfilled his full share of the duties of a citizen during his residence here. In addition to his banking duties be, together with Goddard & Hall, is interested in a fine farm near Wayne City, of one hundred and sixty acres in a most fertile spot, and they make a specialty of the breeding of Shetland ponies. Mr. Clark now has a handsome herd of fourteen ponies on the place, and under his management the farm is kept well up to the standard of productiveness in all lines. In a fraternal way Mr. Clark is a member of Orel Lodge, No. 759, A. F. & A. M., and is worshipful master of that lodge. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows, lodge No. 558.
In 1903 Mr. Clark was united in marriage with Miss Zura Hollon, a daughter of A. W. and Nancy (Fleming) Hollon, of Wayne City. Of their union two children have been born. They are Leland, aged five, and Howard Kenneth, two years old.