R. C. FULLER, M. D.
He whose name initiates this brief review is a talented and skilful physician and surgeon of Caline [Saline] county, and has gained not only marked success and prestige in his profession, but has won a place of distinction among the foremost citizens of Carriers Mills, which has been his home for a number of years. A son of H. J. and Mary Jane (Baker) Fuller, he was born April 18, 1872, in Williamson county, Illinois, near Pittsburg, and about nine miles northeast of Marion. His paternal grandfather, Rev. Horace Fuller, was born, bred and married in Tennessee. Coming with his family to Illinois in 1845, he continued his ministerial labors, and having organized the Davis Prairie Missionary Baptist church served, without remuneration, as pastor for a number of years. He died in 1863, when but fifty-eight years of age.
Born in Tennessee in 1838, H. J. Fuller was but seven years old when brought to Illinois. During the progress of the Civil war he enlisted in Company E, Sixtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and ere long was advanced from the ranks to the position of corporal of his company. He took part in many engagements, and on one occasion, when in command of a squad of forty men he was detailed to hold a road, but was overwhelmed by a large body of Confederate soldiers, forty-four of whom were shot down, although he lost but one man from his ranks. He, himself, was taken prisoner, but two days later, meeting a Confederate captain whom he knew, he was paroled instead of being sent to Andersonville prison. Rejoining his regiment, he subsequently marched with Sherman to the sea, thence through the Carolinas to Washington, where he took part in the Grand Review, after which he was honorably discharged from the army, in which he had served bravely for three years. Returning to his farm in Williamson county, he engaged in agricultural pursuits, but also entered the ministry, and was a very active worker in denominational work, becoming noted as a revivalist and organizing many churches in Williamson county. He continued his pastoral labors as long as able, but for the past few years has devoted his time to the management of his farm. He married Mary Jane Baker in 1870; she is a woman of much force of character, and has ably assisted him in all of his labors. Their son Remulus, twin brother of R. C. Fuller, is a well known farmer of Williamson county, and a successful and popular teacher.
Having received an excellent preliminary educational training in the public schools, H. C. Fuller read medicine for a time under Dr. Denison, and in 1898 was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Saint Louis, with the degree of M. D. Beginning the practice of his profession, Dr. Fuller remained at his first location four years. Coming to Carriers Mills in 1902, he has won a lucrative practice in this vicinity, and in addition has dealt in real estate to some extent, in his professional life and in his business propositions having met with satisfactory success.
The Doctor is a member of numerous medical societies, and has served most acceptably on the village board of Carriers Mills, and on its board of health. Fraternally he is an active member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons, and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, to the Modern Woodmen of America and to the
Royal Neighbors. He married Mattie Heisser, of Golconda, Pope county, Illinois.