Dr. S. Hamilton, police magistrate and collection agent, was born in Crawford County, Pennysylvania, in 1820, the son of Abram and Sarah (McCall) Hamilton, The father, a farmer, of Irish descent and born in the Keystone State, died about 1828, and the mother, likewise a native of Pennsylvania, and of Scotch origin, spent her life in her native State. But three of their nine children are living: Nancy, wife of Edward Northan, Meadsville, Penn.; Phoebe, living in Titusville, Penn., and our subject, who was but about eight years old when his father died. His education was what could be gotten in the log country schoolhouse three months out of the year. His upcle, Samuel McCall, reared him then until he began for himself in his fourteenth year. He worked for a year or two on the river and when sixteen began learning the carpenter's trade. After he finished he worked
at his trade about ten years, until his health failed, and he began the study of medicine, to aid himself in which he took up daguer-reotyping for two years. In 1841 he married Lucinda M. Akins, a native of Pennsylvania. Their five children are all deceased. In 1850 he took the "gold fever" and made an overland trip to California, but was compelled to return in a year on account of the effect of the climate on his delicate constitution. He entered upon his practice, and in 1855 graduated from the American Medical College of Cincinnati (now the Eclectic Medical College). In the fall following, he began practicing at Old Frankfort, then after a year in Belknap, Ill., practicing and as justice, he settled in Thompsonville in 1879 where he has since resided. In 1859 he lost his wife and he then married, the same year, Mary J. Roundtree, a native of Indiana. Of their three children, Perry W., a clerk in Thompsonville, is living. Our subject is the oldest physician in the county, and while at Old Frankfort was the head physician and surgeon in the county, but for the past two or three years he has practically withdrawn from practice on account of his health. He is one of the first settlers of the village of Thompsonville, its first postmaster, opened the first drug store, in his residence was preached the first sermon, and as far as known his Union sentiments expressed themselves in the first unfurling of a flag in Franklin County, after peace was declared. Formerly a Whig and first voting for Clay, he has since been a Republican. In 1881 he was elected justice and has since been re-elected. He is a Master Mason, Odd Fellow and member of the G. A. R. August 21, 1862 he enlisted in the Eighty-first Illinois Volunteers, under Col. Dollins, as assistant surgeon, and was detached in hospital duty chiefly, being at Cairo and with Grant in the Mississippi campaign, shortly after which he resigned on account of disability, and was discharged at Holly Springs December 14, 1862. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife
is proprietor of the "Hamilton Hotel" and keeps an excellent house.