Dr. James T. Harris, physician and surgeon, was born in Cheatham County, Tenn., January 16, 1850, the son of James T. and Charlottie (Lewis) Harris. The father was born December 26, 1819, in Tennessee, and was a farmer by occupation. In 1854 he went to Williamson County, Ill., where he has since resided. He owns 160 acres, and resides in Lake Creek Township. His wife was born in Tennessee, and died in 1868. He has been married three times and is the father of eleven children, ten by his first marriage, and one by his last; Dr. James T., the fifth by his first wife, was four years old when he came to Ilin-
nois, was educated at Ewing College, and had one term at Carbondale. When twenty, he became a pedagogue, teaching in Williamson County for six years. During this time he began reading medicine, and in 1877 commenced study under Dr. W. J. Burgess for one year. The following year he entered Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, and graduated in 1879. He located at Carterville, and in 1881-82 practiced at Thompsonville; for three years, then, he was at Clear Springs, Mo., and in 1885 he came to Frankfort and resumed practice. March 9, 1873, he married Nancy J., daughter of Thomas S. and Matilda A. Clayton, born in 1857, in Franklin County. Their children are Mary L., Lou N., Minnie B., John M., Dollie M. and Fannie L. He is one of the leading physicians of Frankfort, and during his short residence has built up a lucrative practice. He is a Republican, and first voted for Grant. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He has been a Sunday-school superintendent.