Ulysses Hutson, M. D., a farmer, was born in 1848 in Barren Township, the eldest of six children of Moses and Mariam J. (Greenwood) Hutson, natives of Illinois, born in 1819 and 1824 respectively. The father is of English ancestry, the son
of Chamberlain Hutson, one of the early pioneers of Franklin County, and by occupation a farmer and horse trader. Moses was reared in Franklin County, married in 1846, and has since made the county his home, as a well-to-do farmer of Barren Township. The mother died about 1861, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, The Doctor lived in the old home until his twenty-seventh year. He had been educated in the common schools and at Ewing College, and spent several years as a pedagogue, one term of which was in Texas, during 1871-72. October 5, 1875, he married Florence M., daughter of William and Rebecca (Allen) Wheeler, a native of Sumner County, Tenn., born in 1857. Her parents were natives of New York and Tennessee respectively. Clarence 0., Clara A. and Lillie M. are their children. His brother, Dr. E. G. Hutson, now of Benton, was his preceptor in medicine one year, and in 1875 he entered the Missouri Medical College, St. Louis, but graduated from the American Medical College there, in 1878. He was at that time located in Plumfield, where he remained in practice until 1884, since when he has been in his present practice in Tyrone Township, as one of the successful, leading physicians of the county, who has been remarkably successfuL He owns 180 acres of good land, ninety of which are in cultivation, and is situated one mile northwest of Benton, all gained, from a beginning of nothing, by energy, financial ability and careful attention. He is a Democrat, and first voted for Tilden. He is a prominent member of the F. & A. M., K. of H. and F. M. B. A. fraternities. His wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.