Robert R. Link, secretary of Ewing College, and a prominent farmer, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., December 4, 1832, the youngest of six children (three deceased) of James A. and Catherine (Newman) Link, the former of German stock, born in Halifax County, Va., in 1791, and the latter of English lineage, born in Person County, N. C., in 1794. The father was in the war of 1812 at Norfolk, but was among those who hurried to Washington at the time of its burning by the British. He was married Christmas of 1818 and remained in Halifax County until 1826, when they moved to Wilson County, Tenn., where the mother died in 1841, and the father remarried in 1842 and farmed until his death in 1856. Our subject was educated at the high school of Wilson County and finished at
Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn. When twenty he began for himself, attending school and teaching until twenty-five, when he taught exclusively, and soon after bought a farm. In July, 1861, he settled on his present farm in Ewing Township. In 1862 he married Eliza J., daughter of Rev. Elijah T. and Nanoy (Clark) Webb, of Webb's Prairie. In 1864 he was elected justice for a year, and the following year elected county superintendent, and served until 1873. In 1867, when Ewing High School was organized, our subject was elected secretary by the trustees, an office he has held ever since even under the college charter. His children are William C., M. Accts., principal of the commercial department, Ewing College; Alice, principal of the musical department; Effie; Robert E. (deceased); Charles A. (deceased), and Nancy. Our subject, a self-made man, now owns two farms of about 400 acres, one near Benton and the other near Ewing, and divided partly into town lots; a portion of the former was sold to the county agricultural society. He is a prominent citizen of the county, and one of the ablest guardians of the welfare of the Ewing institutions of learning. Formerly a Whig, and lately a Democrat, he in 1884, voted for St. John. In the last election the Prohibitionists nominated him representative in the Fifty-first Senatorial District for the Legislature, and in 1886 they nominated him for Congress in the Nineteenth Congressional District, although he has been no political aspirant. He first voted for Fillmore. He is a demitted Mason, of Benton Lodge. He, his wife and two eldest daughters are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which he is an able supporter.