William H. Mulkey, farmer and miller, was born in Mulkeytown in 1841, the third of twelve children of Caleb F. and Lucretia (Scantlin) Mulkey, natives of Jackson County, Tenn., where they were reared and married. They soon located at what is now Mulkeytown, Franklin County, and thereby gave the place its name. He remained there merchandising until 1847, when he went to Six Mile and purchased property, and began the practice of medicine. He was self-taught, and met with marked success until his death in 1879. He was an able man and served some time as county commissioner and school examiner. The mother died about 1882, and both were members of the Christian Church. Our subject received a limited education, and in 1861 married Antholine, daughter of Robert and Lavana Thurston, born in 1841 in Franklin County. The next year he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Illinois Infantry, and after seven months service, was discharged on account of disability. He returned, and after many
years farming as a tenant, nine years ago he secured his present farm of eighty acres nicely improved and cultivated land at Christopher, and of forty acres in another tract. For about seven years he has been engaged in saw milling, also. In 1885 he was elected supervisor, and re-elected in 1886. He is a Democrat, and first voted for McClellan. He is a member of the F. M. B. A., and he and his wife are members of the Christian Church.