MADISON G. NIXON, M. D, For the truly good and able man there is no calling in life which presents an opportunity for greater usefulness to mankind and which calls for greater self sacrifice than that of the medical profession. A physician who has ever realized the responsibilities of his position and whose ability is fully equal to its most difficult requirements is Dr. Madison G. Nixon, who for many years has practiced at Columbia, and who, although no longer of the younger generation, has ever kept in touch with the progress of science. He is indeed a highly revered and representative member of the Monroe county medical fraternity. In addition to his general practice Dr. Nixon conducts a drug store and is surgeon for the M. & O. Railroad.
Dr. Nixon by the circumstance of birth belongs to Ohio, his life record having begun July 15, 1843, in the village of Richmond, in Jefferson county of the Buckeye state. His father, John Nixon, was born in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, September 1, 1796, but removed from the Keystone state to Ohio when a young boy, accompanying his parents, John and Maria (Gregg) Nixon, who came to America from the north of Ireland soon after the Revolutionary war. He was ten years of age at the time of the removal to what was then "out west," and in June, 1822, he was united in marriage to Charlotte Steele of Muffin county, Pennsylvania. Twenty-one years later (in 1843) he left Ohio with his family and located on a farm north of Waterloo, The journey to the new home was made by boat, first down the Ohio and then up the Mississippi. The Doctor was an infant at the time. There were eight children in the family, the subject being the youngest and he and his brother Edwin, editor of a newspaper in Oklahoma, being the only survivors at the present time. Those deceased are as follows: Andrew, Nathaniel, Margaret, Martha, William and Abraham. The father was a man of strong character and was one of those early citizens who laid the paths of civilization straight and clean for the coming generation. He was for many years a Democrat, but eventually transferred his allegiance to the "Grand Old Party." He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. This worthy man, whose memory is still green with the members of the older generation, died September 13, 1879, at Waterloo, his wife surviving him some four years.
The early life of Dr. Nixon was passed in Monroe county and his preliminary education received in the subscription and public schools. He obtained his higher general education in McKendree College at Lebanon and then prepared for his profession with a course in the old St. Louis Medical College, from which he received the degree of M. D. in 1864. As soon as he was free from college walls he enlisted in the Federal army, becoming assistant surgeon of the Sixth Illinois Cavalry and serving in such capacity until the termination of the conflict between the states. He then took up his practice and concluded to make Monroe county its scene, locating first at Hecker, where he remained for a year, and then coming to Columbia, where he has since been located. He soon occupied a position as one of the most enlightened of its physicians and his career has been wonderfully successful, both as a citizen and a practitioner. He opened his drug store in 1884.
Dr. Nixon was married in 1871 to Emma A. Brady, and to this union two children were born, one dying in infancy. The other, John M. Nixon, now resides in Chicago. The demise of the wife and mother occurred in 1874, and in 1876 the Doctor was a second time married Emma A. Warnock becoming his wife. Three children came to bless their home, of whom but one survives, namely: Minnie, now Mrs. F. H. Nash, of Fort Gibson, Oklahoma, Dr. and Mrs. Nixon have hosts of friends and maintain a hospitable and charming home.
The Southern Illinois, Monroe County, Illinois State and American Medical Associations all claim the membership of Dr. Nixon, who sees in them a means of advancing and unifying the profession. He is also a member of the Southern Railway Surgical Association. In politics he subscribes to the articles of faith of the Democratic party. He has occasionally held public office and ever in unimpeachable fashion, having been president of the school board for some time and for several years post-master. He finds great pleasure in his relations with the Grand Army of the Republic, and is post commander of the local post. He is a prominent Mason, wearing the white-plumed helmet of the Knight Templar upon occasion and also being affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in both of these organizations standing as an ideal member and one who exemplifies their high ideals.