HARRY O. PHILP, M. D.
Among Franklin county's able and eminent physicians Dr. Harry O. Philp is entitled to representation as one of the deservedly prominent, possessing a large country practice and enjoying the confidence of both laity and profession. Beloved as the kindly friend and doctor of hundreds of families in this part of the state, it might well have been such as he who inspired the famous couplet of Pope,
Dr. Philip [Philp?] was born in Jefferson county, Illinois, October 1, 1869, the son of James W. and Augusta (Kinne) Philp. The father was a native of Illinois, and his parents were among the earliest settlers of Jefferson county, their arrival on the Illinois plains having occurred when the Redman still looked upon them as his own hunting ground, his trail being clearly marked across them. The mother, who was a Hoosier by birth, was reared on a farm in Jefferson county, Illinois, whence she came as a little girl. James Philp was a farmer and school teacher and was a Union soldier in the Civil war, being captured and incarcerated in Andersonville prison. He was a member of Company I of an Illinois regiment. The founder of the family of Philp in this country was the subject's grandfather, Thomas Philp, who was born in England and came to this country when a young man, locating in Illinois and taking an active part in the many-sided life of the new community. He was noted as a musician in his day and locality and furnished tunefulness for many interesting occasions. He could be practical also and made all the shoes for the neighborhood. The maternal grandfather of him whose name inaugurates this review was a native of Indiana, in which state he lived and died. Thus the sublect's forebears on both sides of the house have been personally concerned with the growth and development of the middle west.
Doctor Philp received his education in the public schools of Jefferson county and worked on a farm until he attained to the age of
twenty-one years. In the meantime he arrived at a decision to enter the medical profession and accordingly matriculated in the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, from which he was graduated in 1893. Soon after receiving his degree he located in Ewing and he has continued in active practice ever since that time. His practice, which is large, takes him over a wide rural territory. He has been very successful, financially and professionally, and he owns considerable property, having an excellent farm and other material interests.
Dr. Philp was happily married in 1894 to Daisy Neal, daughter of Thor Neal, an extensive farmer and stock dealer. He resided in Franklin county for a number of years, but now makes his home in Missouri. They have one child, a son named James, who is a pupil in the public schools. Dr. and Mrs. Philp belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, taking an active interest in its good works. He is a member of Ewing lodge, No. 705, of the Masons, and is identified with the Southern Illinois and Franklin County Medical Societies, He is Republican in politics and is inclined to the cause of Prohibition, in whose beneficial influence upon a community he has great faith.