S. M. Roberson, M. D., was born in 1839 in Northern Township, Franklin County, the youngest of nine children (five
deceased) of William and Elizabeth (Payne) Roberson, both of English stock, the former born in 1790, in Virginia, and the latter about 1800, in North Carolina. They came with their parents to Tennessee when children, and were married probably in Lincoln County. In 1830 they settled in Franklin County, on the farm now chiefly owned by Mrs. Samuel Ridline, where the father died in 1848. The mother died about 1870, while living with her daughter, Mrs. M. Webb. With common-school advantages, our subject when about seventeen began for himself, and traveling in Kansas part of the time. In 1858 he married and settled in Northern Township, Franklin County, and after three years there and three on another farm he moved to the farm now owned by Alfred Groves, and there his wife died in December, 1871. After two years longer here with his four children, he sold out, and with the proceeds attended the medical college of Keokuk, Iowa, and after a twenty weeks term received a certificate to practice, which, in the spring of 1874, he began at home, and soon bought the farm now owned by W. D. Roberson. In 1877, because of a new law regulating practice he sold his farm, attended another term at his old place, and received a diploma from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, then in its forty-ninth session, probably. He then began practice at his present home. In March, 1882, he married Lourana, widow of Charles Hough, daughter of Augustus and Nancy (Whittington) Adams, born in October, 1847, near Benton. His farms, sold to educate himself, were the fruits of his own labors, and he now owns a pleasant home where he lives at present. His children are Hettie, wife of Charles Todd; Sallie, wife of Augustus Adams; John Q. and Leroy. He is a Democrat, first voting for Douglas. He is a member of Charity Lodge, I. 0. 0. F., and F. M. B. A., No. 75. He served as constable in Franklin County when but a young man.