L. M. Webb, M. D. and pharmacist, was born May 9, 1847, in Franklin County, the fourth of fourteen children (four deceased) of Eldar E. T. and Nancy T. (Clarke) Webb, the former of German origin, born in 1818 in Franklin County, and the latter of English stock, born in 1824 in Bowling Green, Ky. They were married in this county to which the mother came when she was two years old. The father was surveyor of Franklin County twenty years, and farmed on Webb's Prairie until his death in 1879. He was also one of the founders of Ewing College of which he was a trustee until his death. The mother
died in 1884 at the old home. Our subject received his higher education at Ewing High School, and when twenty taught until the autumn of 1870, when he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, St. Louis, and then attended the St. Louis Medical College and received his diploma. After graduation he began practice at Ewing. In 1873 he married Amanda, daughter of William and Charlotte C. (Harrison) King, near Ewing, born in that place in 1854. She died February 25, 1887. Their children are Grace, Kate, Byford, Thomas N. and Eva A. Since 1876, when he established his drug store at Ewing and has since added general merchandise under firm name of Webb Bros., he has conducted that business also, most successfully in both, now owning besides his store building two houses, several town lots, and a farm in company with his brother, J. C. For overa year he has been a trustee of Ewing College. He is a Democrat, and first voted for Seymour. He is a member of Ewing Lodge No. 705, F. & A. M., and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which also his wife was a member.